Friday, November 7, 2008

Remembering

Today is always a sad day for me. Today my wee angel, Ricky would have been 31 years old. All he had ever wanted to do was go to school all day and to be six. He didn't have the chance to accomplish either. Damned cancer took away that chance .. took away all hopes and dreams ... cut short what had the promise of being an outstanding adventure. A sweet, bright, curious young lad lost in six too short months. Oh, he fought ... hard ... after two months of tests ... never ending tests .. the doctors gave him two to three weeks ... WEEKS, my God ... he fought for another four months before the monster in his brain won. Now, twenty-six years later, I sit and cry instead of celebrating another year in his life. I still miss him. I still hear his voice and infectious laugh. I still see his snapping black eyes ... yes they were such a dark brown that they were black ... and always sparkling - with laughter - with mischief - with curiosity -and yes, even sometimes with anger. How could he not have a temper - an Irishwoman for a Mum and a French/Metis for a father - Oh yes a temper, for sure. Luckily, it was mostly an Irish temper ... blow your stack ... rant and rave ... then the storm is over and the sun comes out ... a big hug and "Mummy, can we be friends again?"
What more can I say ... I miss you my Sonny Bunny....

MY SONNY BUNNY

This was written in memory of my precious son, Ricky.

MY SONNY BUNNY

A DIMPLED CHEEK
MISCHIEVOUS BLACK EYES
PUDGY HANDS AND STURDY LEGS
QUICK MIND, ALWAYS QUESTIONING;
WHY IS THE SKY BLUE?
HOW DO PLANES FLY?
WHY DON'T PUPPIES TALK?
IS IT MY TURN NOW?
CAN I DO THAT? WHEN?
CAN I HAVE A HUG?
DO YOU LOVE ME LOTS?
OH YES, MY SWEET PRINCE
MORE THAN I COULD EVER SAY
OH, FOR ONE MORE CHANCE
ONE MORE HUG
ONE MORE "I LOVE YOU MOMMY"
JUST ONE MORE......


Sharon Brunet
2000

No comments: